Girly Racer Tunic

Girly Racer Tunic

A few of months ago, I had the opportunity to guest post
on one of the my favorite blogs, MeSewCrazy
in Jessica’s New Year’s Re*Sew*Lution series.

In case you missed it, this is what I shared with her readers:

One of my sewing resolutions this year is to look at what is lacking in our wardrobes and
fill the needs accordingly with hand-sewn items…well to a certain extent.
My biggest problem is procrastination.
I have always been a procrastinator, so I am used to it, but this year I have so many goals and ideas running through my head that if I procrastinate, they will not get done.
And that makes me sad to think about it.
So with that goal in mind, this past week I made 3 patterns for everyday dresses for Emily,
and cut them all out!  A lot of work, but now that they are cut out, I know they will get done soon.
The first one I tackled was this {girly} Racer Tunic:


It was inspired by a JCrew kids tunic, though I did make changes.
I had the lavendar fabric in my stash, and with some mustard broadcloth, made the “racer” bias trim and flower embellishment.

You could really do any sort of embellishment with this dress, so many possibilities would be cute.


 It would have come together quite quickly, but my fabric had a stretch that went all directions and boy was that tricky!


Here is the pattern in girls size 5.
(It is a hand-drawn pattern and it scanned a bit wonky, sorry.. Still usable, though!)

1 yard knit fabric
1 yard bias trim
fabric for embellishment

**You can make or buy bias tape.  I wanted mine to be the same fabric as the embellishment, so I made mine.  Super easy.  Here is a great tutorial. **

**I used the easy method for putting in sleeves.  Feel free to set them in if you wish.**

**Here is a tutorial on how to attach bias tape**

I chose to sew the flower down, even though I would have preferred a fluttery flower.
I did this because of washing.
I didn’t want to have to iron the flower every time the dress gets washed.

Leave a Reply

Close Menu