Comfy Knit Lounge Pants Tutorial

lounge pant pin

I am so excited to share this fun and easy pattern with you for THE comfiest and cutest pajama pants…ever.

lounge pants 1

I love that the top is lower-waisted and semi-fitted so I don’t feel like a complete frump when I’m wearing them all morning.  I actually feel cute waltzing around the house, cleaning bathrooms and such.  In fact, I got the flu a little while ago and happened to wear these to bed the night before…and it made me feel a tiny bit better that even though I was sick-as-a-dog, I was sick-as-a-dog but in a cute kind of way.

lounge pants 2

lounge pants 6

On with the pattern!

Comfy Knit Lounge Pants Pattern

-Cut 2 of the pattern on the fold.  BUT, you will notice on the pattern that there is an angled line at the top indicating the back and the front cut lines.  check out the following pictures, and then I’ll make a suggestion!

loungepants1

loungepants1a

loungepants2 loungepants3

My suggestion is that you cut 2 of the pattern using the ‘Back’ cut line.  Then once they’re both cut, flip one of them around (so that the raw edges are facing each other) and trim the front of each piece.

If you don’t do this, you may end up with two pieces cut exactly the same…which when you sew them together, won’t match up to fit over your bum.  I hope my suggestion made sense, and that the pics were clear!  This is what you SHOULD get:

loungepants4

-Next, lay both pieces down, one on top of the other with Right-Sides-Together.

loungepants5

-and with RST, serge or stitch along each of the curved lines, as seen below.

loungepants6 loungepants7

-Next, refold your pieces so that the to seams that you just stitched, meet.  (one in the back, one in the front)

loungepants8

-Serge or Stitch from the bottom of one leg, with RST, up to the curved areas, around the curve and back down the other leg.  easy!

loungepants9

-I like to serge around the bottom of both legs.

loungepants10

_Next make a simple yoga band by creating a tube of your knit fabric.  For me, I needed a rectangle that measures 20 inches around, and I wanted my waist band to be 5-6″ thick, so I cut it 12″ high.

loungepants11

-Serge the two ends together, to give you a 12″ high tube.

loungepants12

Fold it in half, and then attach this tube to your pants using this method {here}

-hem your pant legs (special tip…when hemming with knit, we always you Knit Stay Tape…it works wonders!)

loungepants13

lounge pants 5 lounge pants 3

35 Responses to Comfy Knit Lounge Pants Tutorial

1. Jen says:

Love them- so fun, Autie!!

2. Audrey says:

Yeah, I’ve been needing a new pair of p.j. pants, but with a 36” inseam, they are pretty impossible to find. Now I’ll be making my own! Thanks.

3. Tez says:

you didn’t say what size this pj pant pattern makes, nor what measure of fabric one needs….

• sharonwilson says:

we are having problems knowing how much fabric to purchase.
      and how to use the pattern for different sizes.

ou

4. Shell says:

Thanks Autie, these look wonderful! Love the bright stripes – I need to build my fun knit stash! I’d love to know what size or measurements the pattern makes too x

5. Anne says:

Love this! I live in my knit lounge pants!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for tomorrow morning that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

6. {autie} says:

Hey guys! I”ll update this later, but the pattern is for a size Medium… I wear a size 27 jean, if that helps, and these fit me perfectly. I hope that helps!
    autie

7. Sarah says:

Hello! Gorgeous pj’s. Love the pink and orange – could you tell me where you got it and does it have lycra in it – i.e. do the pants start to ‘bag’ after wearing them for a while or do they keep their shape? Also wondering about that for the yoga waistband. (have a long sleeved Tee that I want to change into a skirt, but wondering if the yoga waistband would work if no lycra, as it’s just 100% cotton jersey) Thanks!

8. Brenda says:

Where is the material from I love the stripes!

9. Emily says:

I need these! Thanks for sharing!

10. Irene says:

I love these! They look so comfortable. I’m planning to change up the waist band and make me some awesome maternity pants.

11. Nicole says:

Do you happen to make or sell these on etsy or otherwise? They look sooooo amazingly comfortable and I love the bright colors too! Please let me know–not currently having the time to take on a project, I’d absolutely buy these!

12. Nicole says:

I’m also not a medium so I’d have to have the pattern adjusted a bit. 🙂

13. Bobbieann says:

I am new to this site & am wondering where is the pattern for the Comfort Knit Lounge Pants? They looks so cute & comfy. I would love to try to make them, as they look so easy to make. Thanks for any help someone can give me.

14. RobyGiup says:

Love them! They look so comfortable!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

15. Sherry Kelly says:

Bobbieann, After the full length pictures click on “comfy knit pants pattern” (it’s in pink)

16. Barbara says:

About that size 27 – that’s a UK/ Euro size, right? That would be super, super huge by US measurements. How low is that waist? I only wear pants that go all the up to my waist, as I am an older woman, but I can make that adjustment. I love the PJ’s you made – both pairs! Thanks for the pattern!

17. Barbara says:

OH – maybe that size 27 is a waist measurement? That would make more sense. Oops. What would that translate to in slacks? A size 8 or 10, maybe?

18. Julie says:

Size 27 is a size 5 in the US.

19. Kathleen says:

Awesome tutorial and thank you for doing all the work in making the pattern too! Not knowing anything about pattern construction, if I just moved the pattern a little bit away from the fold would I achieve a bigger waist size or would I be messing up the whole look? I know how to sew clothing using store bought patterns but have never made adjustments to them. In fact, I stopped making my own clothes once I was no longer a perfect size 10!! Sad, I know 😉

20. Jude.x says:

Thank you so much for these – I live in this style when I’m at home; I’ll need to adjust the pattern and make it bigger but it looks so easy to make. Thanks. Jude.x

21. Joyce says:

when i click on free patterns it takes me back to the tutorial but doesn’t give the Pattern. Can you please tell me how to get the pattern for the com-fie lounge pants? I really want to make these for Christmas!

22. Kathy says:

I love to spend time in lounge wear, esp. being obese, so I would love to know what measurements you took of yourself to make the pattern. Also, how much material you used.
    Thanks for the tut,
    Kathy

23. Karena says:

Thank you!

24. Products are recalled all the tasks on this subject.
    It will be experiencing some minor problems like
    slipping off and de riguer for Kundalini yoga practitioners will not help.
    First, Lululemon’s shares are up about 17 percent of its famous yoga pants are
    developed for yoga. In some cases it’s also possible to have on blue girls yoga
    pants.

25. rae ramos says:

26. Some fabrics can make you start looking good as well as proceed,
    nevertheless, LuLuLemon Yoga Pants are only as crucial
    as getting Yoga.

27. Gerda says:

I love them but don’t know where to find the pattern.

• miki says:

Can’t find the pattern? Read about half way through information where it says
      “Comfy knit lounge pattern” Click on that sentence and the pattern will come up. Questions: Do you overlap the pages . What size is the pattern and how do you adjust it up or down in size. How much fabric is needed.?

28. Tracy says:

When I click to see the pattern,it seems like it’s just in chunks….not a whole pattern.whats up? Is there another link?

• Leah says:

It’s not possible to have the entire pattern to print out on one sheet so you have to print out all the sheets and match them up & tape them, that’s your pattern.

29. Theresa says:

I’m so glad you mention the difference between the front and back. I see people trace the same pattern for front and back and always wonder how that works. Although I guess it could for someone. Not me, lol.

30. Diane says:

How do I know how much fabric I need?

31. destiny says:

Do you sell these? I am not crafty but think theses are so cute id love to buy a pair!!

32. Reachelle says:

What kind of fabric did you use?? It doesn’t say anywhere.