DIY: The Everyday Skirt Take 2

With summer heading this way fast (last week it was here in force, today its raining?)

I think I need some wardrobe additions, fast.  The last two summers, I pretty much lived in my Everyday Skirts.

I figured that it was time to make some more, with a bit of an update.  I am so happy with the way they turned out!

Main Graphic

This skirt is a bit fuller and circle-ish, kind of like if my Ice Cream Social Skirt and my Everyday Skirt had a baby. 🙂

Striped Version 2

Same yoga waistband, same comfort for on-the-go women or teens.  Just changed up a bit.

Tribal Version 2

I had some wide navy and white striped knit I bought at Michael Levine a while back and I just loved the way the stripes lay.  This tribal knit I found at The National City Swap meet in San Diego- they have about 4-5 booths full of fabric for super cheap.

Striped Version 1

The skirts can be super casual with a plain tee and flip flops or dressed up a bit with heels.  I just bought this cute white denim jacket and love the way it pairs with the skirts.

Tribal Version 1

So I am on a roll, I made a digital pattern (Comparible to a size Medium at Gap, Old Navy or Target) to share.

I busted these 2 skirts out in about 2 hours total- so a nice, quick project!

Materials:

1  3/4 yds knit fabric (probably avoid super clingy or 4 way stretch knits)

Sz. M Pattern available for download here

• Print pattern.  Make sure to set scaling to 100%.  Use Adobe Reader for printing for best results.  Measure your test square to make sure printing is correct.  Assemble your pattern as shown below.

Pattern Layout:

Pattern Map

• If your fabric is a stripe of some sort, be careful when you fold your fabric to line them up as well as you can.  Cut 2 on the fold and  your yoga waistband.

T2

• Fold your yoga band right sides together, and sew your side seam, using a 1/4″ seam allowance.  You can use a straight stitch for this part, or serge.
  • With right sides out, fold down the band in half and press, as shown.  The seam will be center back.

T1

• With right sides together, using a 1/4″ seam allowance, stitch your skirt side seams.  You can use a straight stitch for this part, or serge.

T3

• Divide both your waist band and skirt top into quarters.  Put pins at each quarter mark.
  • With the fold side down, pull your band over your skirt top, with all raw edges at the top.
  • Pin the two together at each quarter mark.
  • Stitch the band to the skirt.  Starting at the center back, using a 1/4″ seam allowance, serge or use a narrow zig zag stitch the band onto the skirt top.  You will need to stretch the band as you sew in between pins.

T4

T5

• Once your waistband is sewn on, it is time to hem.
  • I used knit stay tape.  This really helps hemlines look perfect.
  • Fuse your stay tape onto the wrong side of your hemline.
  • Turn under about 5/8″ and press.
  • Stich hemline with a double needle OR (like I did) two rows of straight stitches (since this hem won’t need to stretch)

Done!  Happy Sewing.

Jen

26 Responses to DIY: The Everyday Skirt Take 2

1. Love! For us Brits, can I ask what size your M is? A medium in the UK is typically a 12-14 which is a US 8-10.

• Jen says:

Hi Sally,
      I usually wear a size 6 or 8- depending on the store. My waist measurement is 29 1/2″ if that helps!

2. Anne says:

I could soooo wear a skirt like this every day!!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for tomorrow that links to your post:
    –Anne

3. Stephanie says:

LOVE it! However, how do I size up for a Large???

• Jen says:

Hi Stephanie,
      So this skirt is not as easy to resize. You will have to slash and spread the pattern. Here is a great article showing where to cut the pattern:

Ok, let me try to explain. Measure your upper hip, a couple of inches below your waist. Divide that number in half and using this measurement, draw a vertical line (the center fold of the skirt) and a line perpendicular to the fold line (a few inches down the vertical line) on some pattern paper. Lay my pattern on top of the lines you drew. Put the center fold on your vertical line, and the center waist at your horizontal line. Slash the pattern using the guides in that article and spread the pattern until the side edge of the pattern is on the other end of the horizontal line you drew. For the waist band, you should use your waist measurement minus 1.” If your fabric stretch doesn’t bounce back very well, take 2-3″ off your waist measurement.

Hopefully I explained this ok! If anyone tries this with success, I would love to know!

Thanks so much.

4. Sarah Jo says:

Cute look! Where did you get your necklace? Love it!

• Jen says:

Thank you! I actually got my necklace from Forever 21 a while ago- they have a similar one in gold right now, I think.

5. Mell says:

Yes,I wondered what size Large is?

6. Lara says:

I was wondering the same thing on scaling up to a large/ex-large. I can assume you could/would print it at a higher scale than 100% what what would that be?

7. Krista says:

Knit stay tape–now there’s a great idea! Is that something you can find easily, such as at JoAnn Fabrics?

8. cute skirt. where did you get those beautiful shoes? love them and love your blog thanks

9. Debra says:

Love the skirt, thanks so much for sharing!
    Where did you find your great shoes, they are perfect with your outfit:)

10. Nancy says:

Hi Jen! I love this skirt pattern! I just used it (with a few alterations) as part of a costume I am making. Would you mind if I put a link on my blog post about the costume construction back to this page? It turned out so well that I’m going to make a few more, but for everyday wear 🙂

11. Grit says:

Love the navy and white stripes. I’m meaning to replicate one of my knit skirts I wear at the beach or around the house during summer. I think using the part of the tutorial attaching the band will speed it up and I’ll stop thinking and starting doing next weekend. Thanks!

12. Christenna Carr says:

Finished making this skirt and it turned out beautiful. I normally wear a medium in size but this was a little large around my waist. I may try to take an inch or two off my next one because I will definitely be making more of these. This was fun and very easy. Thanks for the pattern and tutorial. Chris

13. Te'ena says:

I made this one last week, and had to come back and make another one today, – because I can’t just keep on wearing the same skirt all the time! Needless to say, – I LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for such a great pattern and tutorial!

14. Xavier says:

Jen, your skirt caught my eye. So much in fact I’m planning to make one for my lady. I think she’ll like it – and it’ll look good on her. I’ll need to resize the pattern somewhat and your answers to other inquiries has helped me in that regard. To further aid my efforts would you tell me your height, please.
    Regards,
    Xavier

15. Josie Meyer says:

Such cute summer style? Where is the grey t-shirt from? I am always on the hunt for the perfect tshirt!

16. Claire says:

For this skirt is it absolutely necessary to use the tape or can you just hem the skirt without?

17. Tina says:

I made one in knit and used the same pattern for a rayon, which I inserted a side zipper and added a very thin waistband. THANK YOU!

18. Shirley Lewis says:

I am unable to print the pattern for the everyday skirt. I printed the tutorial but cannot get the pattern to print.

19. KIm says:

I really enjoy your comfy lounge pants tutorial and I appreciate you sharing. However, your website is so bogged down with advertisements and pop ups that it takes me FOREVER to navigate your web page and read through the tutorials on every computer in my home with different operating systems. For that reason, it’s not worth my following your blog anymore. What a shame! Also your selfie pics are way too large(lounge pants).