DIY Tiny Tunics

Isabella is now 5 months old.  She is so much fun!

I have been meaning to sew her some cute little clothes for such a long time and finally

got to it.  This past week I finished 3 little tunics that I just love!

They are the perfect length to go with leggings or jeggings, and would even work with

a diaper cover on a hot day.  They are my new go-to tops for her.

Main Image

I had a lot of fun choosing fabrics for these tunics.  I got the majority of it at the Michael Levine Loft in LA, and the rest at the regular Michael Levine, FIDM Scholarship Store, Girl Charlee, and the National City Swapmeet.

Denim 1

My first one that I made is out of this jeggings denim knit fabric.  A little bit unconventional to use it for a top but I LOVE how it turned out.  I used a tiny piece of floral cotton lawn for the pocket.  Paired with cute pink jeggings, Isabella was dressed to the nines. 🙂

Gray White 2 Grey and White Tiny Tunic

This gray and white little number is one of my favorites.  Actually they all are but I really like this one.  This fabric is a super soft sweatshirt knit and I paired it with a cute pop of colored jersey.  The possibilities are endless!

Pink 1

I have been saving this cute pink and coral tribal knit for just the right project.  I just love how this one turned out.  The colors are fabulous!  I paired it with a cute textured solid for the pocket.  Isabella is doing her daily crunches here- she does this all the time and will soon have fabulous abs.

So our little photo shoot started out pretty well…

Close Up

But by the last outfit she was OVER it.  I may have to rethink my baby photo shoots next time….

unhappy

So I made another digital pattern, in size 3-6 months.  Even if you don’t have a baby girl of your own, this would make an ADORABLE baby gift!

Materials:

• Pattern (Sz 3-6 Months)
  • 1/2 Yard Main Fabric
  • Tiny Amount Contrast Fabric
  • Tiny Amount of very thin interfacing

Pattern Map:

Pattern Map

• Print (no Scaling, use Adobe Reader) out your pattern pieces and tape them together.  Trace 1 front pattern piece and 1 back pattern piece.
  • Cut out your pattern pieces and your neck band piece (dimensions on pattern)

T1

•    With right sides together (RST) stitch one shoulder seam, using a 1/4″ seam allowance.  You can use a straight stitch or serger.

NECK BAND:

C1

• Take your neck band strip and fold it in half horizontally.  Press.  Divide into quarters and mark with pins or pen/chalk.  Divide your neckline into quarters as well (your shoulder seam will NOT be one of the quarter marks.)
  • Pin your band, raw edges matching up with the raw edge of your neckline, onto the neckline at each mark.
  • Using a 1/4″ seam allowance, stitch with a narrow zigzag or serger all around your neckline, pulling the band to fit.
  • Press seam allowance down and topstitch underneath the band around your neckline with a zigzag stitch.
  • With right sides together, stitch the other shoulder seam, matching the neckband seams.

T2A

• Fold your seam allowance of that second shoulder seam (serged edge) toward the back neckline.  Stitch it down just a bit on the end so it doesn’t poke out into the neckline.

POCKET:

C2

• Take  your pocket and fold each side under 1/4″
  • Next we are going to stabilize the pocket- this is my cheater way.  Lay your pocket with the wrong side facing the bumpy part of some thin interfacing.  Using a press cloth, press them to fuse together.
  • Trim the edges of the interfacing as close as you can to the pocket.
  • Topstitch the top of the pocket.
  • You can do this with woven fabrics too and since the interfacing covers the edges, you don’t need to fold over twice.

C3

• Lay your pattern piece over the front of your tunic, lining up edges.
  • Mark the corners of the pocket placement by sticking in pins.
  • Using an pen or pencil, mark your fabric where the pins are and remove your pattern piece.
  • Pin pocket onto marks.
  • Stitch around the edges of the pocket on each side and the bottom.

T2

• Fold your armhole under 1/4″ and stitch.

T3

• RST- Starting at the edge by the arm hole, stitch the side seams together, using 1/4″ seam allowance.

T4

• In the armpit area, fold the seam allowance toward the back and stitch it down so it doesn’t poke out.

T5

• Fold under the hem 1/2″ and press.  Stitch it down.  I just used a large straight stitch since it is loose and not tight fitting but a double needle stitch or zigzag would work too.

Happy Sewing!

Jen

30 Responses to DIY Tiny Tunics

1. Mareike says:

So sweet! I think my little girl (almost 5 weeks old) will be wearing a Tiny Tunic during summer 😉 Thanks for sharing!
    All the best for you and your family!

2. Chelle Chapman says:

How cute! I love a tunic & these are just too yummy NOT to make! Way to go Jen, you are SEW creative & your Littles are just as adorbs as the wearables you make for them!!! Thank you for sharing the pattern & instructs! You ROCK!!

3. Zoey says:

Hi Jen

Thanks so much for this free pattern, I knocked up a tiny tunic on bank holiday Monday out of an old shirt for my unborn (due in 6 weeks). Love your site, might get on to making some bibs next!

4. Annie says:

Hi! I would love this for my baby girl, but she is almost 12 months, do you have any recommendations to make this tunic fit her?

5. Tineke says:

Thanks for the lovely pattern. This morning I made the tiny tunic for my neighbours newborn babygirl. I used a lovely red fabric with little monkeys on it and completed it with matching pants. It’s just too cute! Would love to send you a picture of it, but I have no idea how to. Anyway, thanks, it worked out great!

6. Gwen says:

These are super duper cute. Thank you so much for the pattern, I live in Australia and my little girl is due in september (spring here) so these will be perfect for when she’s 3 to 6 mths old. I can’t wait to make a ton of those!

7. deb says:

Hi,
    This is so cute and simple. Looking forward to the 18-24 month pattern. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!

8. Dóra says:

I agree! I love this pattern, such a cute idea! I tried it, but my tiny 1-year-old is too big… ;)) please give us the next sizes!

9. jessica says:

Hey, I added your pattern to the Kids Clothing WEek website, hope that is ok! hoping to sew up one (or a few) for my new baby coming soon! 🙂 http://www.kidsclothesweek.com/patterns/tiny-tunic

10. Josie says:

I love this! I so wish you had the pattern for bigger girls i.e. 5T or 6x. I would love to make this for my lil girl.

11. Leslie says:

The neck band will lay better if the bottom is slitely narrower than the top of the band. 1/8 inch narrower at the bottom of the neck band seam.

12. isabel says:

Isabella is very beautiful

13. Girl Charlee says:

What a cute way to mix patterns! Thanks for linking to us 🙂

14. Kate says:

Your tunics are just as darling as Isabella. Thank you for sharing.

15. Kim says:

Oh my gosh, could your baby be any cuter?!!! She’s just adorable – as are your tunics – can’t wait to sew some up. Thanks for the tutorial!

16. Maayan says:

Beautiful girl, tutorial and tunic! I’d be sure to keep an eye out for appropriate knits when I shop next.
    Thanks!

17. Selma says:

Had trouble when it printed, top was smaller, do I have enlarge the top until it meets up with the bottom? Please help im making one with some xmas fabric for my newborn niece…I can not wait to see how cute this looks.

18. Pat says:

I had the same trouble printing as Selma. I needed to print the pages separately – Pg 1 was printed on “Landscape” positioning and Pg 2 on “Portrait”. That worked. Now the 1″ block measured correctly. I’m looking forward to making these for my granddaughter. Thx.

19. Carol says:

These are adorable! I am going to make some for my first great granddaughter, due next month. I have one question, is it necessary to use knit for the neckband so it will stretch or could I use a cotton print cut on the bias?

20. Kus Zahari says:

oh Jen…

i’m dying to see this cute tiny tunic.
    Will make it for my newborn niece…they are twins.
    Probably will pair with twirl skirts.
    Can’t wait to sew it.
    Thank you dear for sharing this.

Kus

21. heidi says:

I know this is probably simple, and I am missing it, but how do you enlarge the pattern?
    thanks!!!!

22. neisha says:

So creative. And the prints are to die for,but what about bigger patterns? I have 3 year old..

23. Sarah says:

I just finished making a tiny tunic for a friend’s baby. It came out cute! I had a hard time with the narrow seam allowances and edges, though. I’m pretty new at working with knits. Is there some trick for turning under small amounts (my pocket just came out small and the armholes are a bit uneven) with knits?

24. Ashley says:

Thanks so much for this great pattern!! I found it this morning after lots of searching for something similar and I’ve already made it- I think I’ll make another for my friend whose baby shower is coming up. I confess I cheated a bit… for the arm and neck holes, I ran it through the serger, folded the serged end under, and sewed in place. Then I sewed the front to the back. I didn’t use the neck band, which is admittedly super cute.

25. Crystal says:

Do you have a pattern for other sizes? I am in love with this tutorial but my baby girl is a year and wearing 12 and 12-18 month clothing. I prefer to buy her little tunic shirts at the 12-18 month size because they get so much more life that way. Thanks!

26. Jennifer says:

How do you make this for a toddler 2t size????

27. Lynn Howard says:

I also am wondering about enlarging the pattern. My granddaughter is growing into 9 mo size. I guess we all need to learn about enlarging patterns! 😉 Thank you!

28. Marcno says:

Apparently I am the only one that can’t get the pattern to print on scale. Both pieces print on same page with The shoulder picture and directions. I have tried coping and pasting into a word document but still can’t get it to size. Help.

29. Svenja says:

I´m facing some little problems printing the pattern. It looks like, that it should be on two pages, right? I just able to print it on one. What am i doing wrong?