DIY Tiny Tunic Take 2

When I came up with my idea for my Tiny Tunics

I also came up with a variation on them with more mix and match options- a little peplum version.

I just love how they turned out!

Tiny Tunic Take 2 Free Pattern

It was so fun to look in my stash and make color and pattern combinations.

The best thing is how little fabric you need for these, so they are a great way to use up scraps!

Tiny Tunics1

Here I combined a heathered coral jersey (bought at the National City Swap Meet) with this adorable Michael Miller Fabric I received from Jessica of The Sewing Rabbit’s Girl’s Night Out that was just waiting for the right project!  Don’t you just love the dice print?  And navy and coral is one of my favorite combos.

Coral Navy Tiny Tunic Take 2

In this one, like in the original Tiny Tunic, I once again used the stretch denim jersey, but combined it with this gorgeous Leah Duncan print.

Denim Tiny Tunic Take 2

And finally, for the third, I had more cute Michael Miller fabric from Jessica’s GNO.  Just love this geometric print combined with the turquoise knit I have had in my stash forever.

Turquiose Coral Tiny Tunic Take 2

The tunic is perfect with leggings and also works with diaper covers. If you want it to be a dress, you can just add a few inches of length.  I like to see this chub on warm days so I kept it short. 🙂

Tiny Tunic Take 2 back

I took the original pattern, and just made a couple of revisions.  It is still size 3-6 months.

Tiny Tunics

Materials:

• Pattern (Sz 3-6 Months)
  • Original Tutorial
  • 1/3 yd Knit Fabric
  • < 1/4 yd woven fabric
  • Tiny amount of very thin interfacing
  • Pattern Map:

Tiny Tunic Take 2 Pattern Map1resized

• Print (no Scaling, use Adobe Reader) out your pattern pieces and tape them together.  Trace 1 front pattern piece and 1 back pattern piece.
  • Cut out your pattern pieces and your neck band piece (dimensions on pattern)

T1

• Using the original tutorial, stitch the knit part (bodice) of the tunic.
  • With right sides together, using 1/4″ seam allowance, stitch the side seams of the peplum skirt.
  • Stitch two rows of basting stitches (longest stitch length) 1/4″ on each side at the top of your peplum skirt.
  • Mark the bottom of the bodice and the top of the peplum skirt into quarters.  Use pins or chalk to mark.
  • With right side out, slide the bodice into the skirt, right sides together.  The bottom of the top will match up with the top of the peplum skirt.

T2

• Pin skirt onto bodice at each mark.  Adjust gathers evenly (this is not very gathered) and pin every couple inches or so around.
  • Stitch, using 1/4″ seam allowance and a stretch stitch (zigzag, or serge)
  • Rip out the basting stitches
  • Turn hem of peplum skirt under 1/4″ and then again 3/8″. Press and stitch.
  • Done!

Jen

13 Responses to DIY Tiny Tunic Take 2

1. Jo (Dotta.) says:

Look at those legs! And the t-shirt is a d o r a b l e. I want to sew a bigger version of it for my 2 yo daughter!

2. Anne says:

How cute are those little tops!!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for this evening that links to your post:
    –Anne

3. Rebecca says:

Gorgeous, I have a little one due summertime down here in Australia so this will be perfect! Thanks!

4. Lisa M says:

Hard to tell what the “i Candy” is….the clothing or that especially cute baby! She will be a heartbreaker someday! Oh, love the cute little clothes too!

5. Sarah Helene says:

CUTE-AS-CAN-BE . . . unique & creative tunics for baby! what a darling model! THANKS for the tutorial . . . I have no babies to sew these for, however. SARAH in Minneapolis

6. Amy L says:

Adorable. Have your considered selling these? I have no sewing skills or equipment, but would love to buy them.

7. Selma says:

I was wondering, I had some trouble printing, the top half does not match up with the bottom as the diagram shows, do I have to enlarge the top after I print it? I thought you just print and cut out. It seems too small as is and I wanted to make one as a xmas gift. Im new with patterns so I wondered if I was missing something in the directions. Thank you.

8. Courtney says:

How do I make this size 6-9 months?

9. Cindi says:

These are adorable! Those knees are the cutest ever!! Thanks!

10. Kirstin Cotter says:

Hello! First, thank you so much for providing this pattern. I am having a hard time with attaching the bottom and top. I have the top measuring at 9 inches and the bottom of the tunic is 12 inches. I checked the scaling and the box measures 1 in. So the pattern isn’t off. What am I missing? 3 in is a lot to gather and the written instructions say there isn’t much to gather.

11. Shannon says:

LOVE the tiny tunic pattern!! I’ve made two tops so far & plan on trying this version tomorrow! Just also wanted to add that a good source of knit fabric for this project is a big tshirt. Cheap & comes in so many colors/prints! 🙂

12. Mary Ahlberg says:

Hi, love your patterns but I can’t print them from the site provided. Could you please e-mail me the racer tunic and the tiny tunic w/ peplum? Thanks so much. I’ll be back often. Love sewing tiny things and even though my granddaughters are and 4 now, they have dolls to dress!