DIY Carseat Canopy

One of the first things I was determined to make for Isabella was a new carseat canopy.

I had a gender neutral one from Aaron, but I really wanted one I could look at and enjoy day after day.

After searching and searching for the perfect fabric,

I finally decided on these gorgeous Pat Bravo prints from her Rapture Collection.

Pin Image

Using my old one as a guide, I whipped this new one out in one evening.

Carseat Canopy Wide Close Up

Such a great, easy project.

I decided to use snaps as a closure (video tutorial coming soon!) instead of velcro and I am so happy with the way it turned out.

So nice and neat.

Carseat Canopy Side Snap

For a little decorative touch, I had these super big buttons that hold up the corners.  I sewed them on with embroidery thread.

Carseat Canopy Button

This would make a cute baby gift or an easy project for your own baby.  Here is what I did:

Carseat Canopy Tutorial

You will need approximately 1  1/4 yards of two coordinating fabric, snaps or velcro, and decorative buttons.

1. Cut 1 large rectangle out of each fabric.  Cut 2 small rectangles out of each fabric for the straps.

2. With right sides of the coordinating fabrics together, using a 1/2″ seam allowance, stitch all around the edges of the large rectangles, leaving an opening for turning.   Repeat for each strap.

3. Turn the canopy to the right side.  Following the video tutorial below, square your corners.  Press edges.  Topstitch all around the edge about 1/4″ from the edge, making sure to close the openings.  Repeat with the straps.  Add velcro or snaps to your straps.  Fold up each corner and press.  Sew a decorative button down through all layers to secure the corners.  Repeat for all corners.

4. Find the center of your fabric.  Place the straps approximately 9″ from center to center as shown.  Stitch across (not shown!) to secure.

When I was making this, my mother in law was over and she is a blanket making pro.  (I’m not!) She was helping me and started to square my corners for me.  I stopped her, thinking her method was genius and took a video.  This was new to me, as an apparel seamstress, so maybe it will be helpful for you!

Jen

21 Responses to DIY Carseat Canopy

1. Stephanie says:

Great idea and perfect for a quick baby shower gift!! going to make a few of these this summer!!!

2. Anne says:

The fabric is beautiful! And I’m loving the folded up corners that show the lining. I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for later today that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

3. Sarah Tyau says:

This is the cutest carseat canopy I’ve ever seen! You did a great job!

4. Sara Sousa says:

LOVE this tutorial!! I’m expecting a little girl in October, and I won’t be needing to put a car seat cover on any shower lists… because I could totally make my own… which I knew I could, but yours looks like it’s doable! Thank you!

5. Dave Jay says:

Wow! What a great tutorial. Wish I found this blog before I started mine. It turned out great though, check it out when you get a chance!

6. hannahsam says:

Made this today got my baby, I love it! Thank you for the awesome tutorial!

7. Ella says:

Thank you for this easy to follow tutorial! Can’t wait to make one!

8. cate says:

I went to try and make this and my seams came undone. I’m not sure what I did wrong. Is there anyway you could give me a pointer?

9. Elocin says:

this is a neat little project. i like the way you show which pieces to cut and where to piece them. easy to follow directions! thanks and keep up the good work! (im going to make 2 of these for gifts!)

10. Mona says:

Thank you for this tutorial!! I made two of them and they come out awesome!!! My Friend and niece really enjoyed them.

11. Amelia Olga says:

Such a beautiful canopy! And a great tutorial! Can’t wait to make it for my boy 🙂
    Did you use cotton fabric?
    Thnx

12. Leann says:

Love this!! So adorable! What kind of fabric do you recommend? Thanks 🙂

13. Sydney says:

Has anyone finished this off with bias tape?

14. Cindy Allen says:

Love the tutorial! I LOVE the perfect corners. I see so many projects with less than perfect corners and it drives me crazy. Thank you so much for showing us all how to get that right!!!