Everyday Basics: Maxi Mayhem

So for the last month or so, I have been busy cutting out and sewing multiples of some super awesome basics (at least I think so…) for everyday wear.
I took some of my favorite wardrobe staples and created patterns.
Maxi Collage
I know I probably have posted the Maxi Skirt to death,
but I promise this is the last of them for a while, maybe ever? I just love to wear them.
They are as comfortable as pajamas, and look way better than jeans shorts.
They are perfect for all seasons, too.
So when I had my cutting fest, I decided to make five.
That’s plenty, right??
🙂
Most of them are based on my “Classic” Maxi pattern,
size Medium,
which is uploaded here, on Google Docs.
I used a medium knit maxi skirt I bought at Brass Plum
(Nordstroms juniors dept.) a couple of years ago
to make the pattern.
I used a variety of fabrics and techniques and love the way they turned out!
 Just narrowed this one down.  Same pattern as the original mismatched maxi I posted here, but not cut up.
Didn’t buy enough fabric (oops!) to do the stripes horizontal, so this was a “make it work” moment.
With some advice from a friend, I just cut the pieces with the stripes going every which way, however I could get the pattern pieces to fit.  I actually LOVE how it turned out.
 Cut up my “Classic” maxi pattern to be a roomier version of the Mismatched Maxi.
Cut the bottom off of my “Classic” maxi, and then cut a rectangle the width of the fabric.
Ruffled it up and attached it with the raw edge showing.
You can use my tutorial for my Everyday Skirt… it is a short skirt but you follow the exact same steps when constructing a maxi, it is just longer.
Here is the pattern map:
My waist and hip measurements are as follows, in case it is helpful in determining how the pattern might fit you.
Waist: 30″
Hip: 39″

REALLY easy to size up or down, just move the side seam out a bit.  Allow for the stretch of the fabric.

31 Responses to Everyday Basics: Maxi Mayhem

1. Ooh Baby! says:

Jen where did you get the knit chevron fabric??? Gotta know! 🙂

2. oh goodness Jen, those are all fabulous! My favorite may be the off kilter version. Seriously, love them! And that mismatched, and exposed ruffle – gah, I love them all!!! So perfect for Fall!!!

3. You always find the best fabrics….I think I just need to move to LA!!!!
    ~e

4. You always find the best fabrics….I think I just need to move to LA!!!!
    ~e

5. You always find the best fabrics….I think I just need to move to LA!!!!
    ~e

6. Chelle says:

Girl, you ROCK!!! You have the cutest figure it makes me want to make all of these just like yours!!! BUT>>>>>I am 4’11” on a good day & have a much wider hip/stinger span than you!!! I am NOT sure I would look as good in those stripes around but that is NOT going to stop me from trying your other ones!! I believe a girl should have a bathing suit for every day of the week & even MORE Maxi Skirts!!!!! If you get the desire to post another one, I certainly will be the first to jump up-n-down w/ glee!!!!! I’d be willing to bet I am NOT your only reader to agree w/ this either!! Hey, whatever happened to “It’s MY Post & I’ll Post Whatever I Want”?!!!!!Love your tutes!! Thanks so much for sharing & keeep ’em comin’!!! kweenbee_612@yahoo.com

7. EHC says:

Cool post. I got really inspired just looking @ your pictures. I was wearing a maxi skirt last weekend and realized it made me look a lot cooler and fashionable than I really am. Hahaha. Maybe this isn’t the case for you but it sure is for me! I think I need 5 more maxi skirts too! 🙂

8. Jenny says:

You can never have too many maxis! Love them all. Thanks 🙂

9. Shannon says:

Oh, these are super cute! Thanks for the pattern!

10. Thank you so much for this post and pattern!! I already had plans to try and make some maxi skirts this weekend and now I won’t have to wing it. I love all your skirts. You have great style and serious sewing skills! I love this blog. Keep up the good work!

11. Penny says:

never done the maxi skirt thing yet but as we head into spring here in NZ I am getting tempted to try…..

12. Cool post. Clip hai got really inspired just looking @ your pictures. Thanks so much for sharing & keeep ’em comin’!!

13. The Leoness says:

Hi Jen!

Love these maxi skirts and finally was able to make a trip to the fabric district to gather materials. Hoping mine turn out as cute as yours have. 🙂 Just wanted to mention that Elle Apparel no longer has the tutorial posted on her site as she has started selling her designs. Thanks again for inspiring me to sew again!

14. Jen Gilday says:

Excited to give this tutorial a try!!! Going on a cruise in Jan and thought it would be a fun addition to my cruise wardrobe!!

Thanks!
    Jen
    athomeinthenorthwestblog.com

15. Leslie says:

Thank you so much for sharing this! I noticed that you used about 1 yard of fabric for the Everyday Skirt. About how much did it take to lengthen the skirt to the Maxi?

16. Unknown says:

I am sooooooo…..excited I love the look of maxi’s I have two and never thought of making my own. I have been searching high and low for them at the stores. Now you have inspired me to create my own. Thanks so much. P.s. I also love the short version as well.

17. Anonymous says:

hi
    how do you do the ruffle on the ruffled skirt . i will be making more . even though i made this one a little to tight .
    help please

18. Kendra M says:

How many yards of fabric do I need to buy?

19. Thanks for a great post and pattern!!!

20. Thanks for posting your tutorials! Makes it look soooo easy! How do we know if we will fit your size M? Do you have waist measurements posted anywhere?

21. Anonymous says:

could seriously live in these skirts

22. Anonymous says:

Please do NOT stop making and listing your maxi skirts or dresses. I ABSOLUTELY love them and ur site. If I could meet and hang out with yall I would. I love ur site. Please keep the ideas and maxis coming. Fan for life.

TaMi

23. Anonymous says:

Hello I was wondering how Much you buy your fabric for at the l.a district for.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks